Less than an hour after we published our original post about the coronavirus on March 12, Governor Herbert asked Utahns to limit public gatherings to 100. (Since then, the state has asked Utahns to voluntarily limit gatherings to 10.) Immediately, theatre companies in Utah started to announce adjustments to performance schedules.
Let’s start with the good news and list the productions in Utah that producers have (somehow) been able to stream online:
- The Ziegfeld Theater is streaming their ASL/English bilingual production of Newsies through April 9. The cost is $9.50. For more information, visit https://www.zigarts.com/newsies-stream-new. Read the UTBA president’s reaction to this video recording.
- Hale Center Theater Orem will be streaming performances of their 2018 production of Daddy Long Legs on March 27-29 and April 3-5. The cost is $10. For more information, visit https://tickets.haletheater.org/overview/574.
- Plan-B Theatre will be streaming their world premiere of The Audacity for ticket holders, starting March 26. The general public can see the show for free, staring April 1. For a preview, visit https://vimeo.com/400497448 and https://vimeo.com/400712318. Stream at https://planbtheatre.org.
- An Other Theater Company announced on March 25 that they will be streaming Odd Shaped Balls on April 10-12. Pricing is flexible; for details, visit www.anothertheatercompany.com.
- SCERA will be streaming their 2016 world premiere of Peter Pan’s Great Adventure, a production for young audiences April 2-6. Tickets are $5. For details, visit https://scera.org/events/peter-pans-great-adventure-streaming/.
- Hale Center Theater Orem will be streaming The Velveteen Rabbit, a production for young audiences April 10-13. The cost is $5. For more information, visit https://tickets.haletheater.org/overview/583/.
We hope the list of streaming productions continues to grow.
Cancelled Performances and Productions
Salt Lake County
- Pioneer Theatre Company has cancelled their upcoming production of Ass. The company also closed the staged readings of The Messenger, effective March 14. On March 16, the company announced that all remaining productions of the season were cancelled or postponed.
- Hale Centre Theatre has suspended all performances through March 30, effective immediately. On March 17, Hale Centre Theatre announced that all remaining performances of Bright Star and Strictly Ballroom were cancelled.
- The Utah Opera has cancelled all performances of The Barber of Seville from March 12 to May 23.
- Westminster College’s one-act play festival (scheduled to open April 20) has been cancelled.
- The Empress Theatre in Magna had a double whammy to deal with. Coronavirus and a magnitude 5.7 earthquake have closed the building and cancelled their productions of Xanadu, West Side Story, and Guys and Dolls. The Youth Theatre production is cancelled also.
- The March, April, and May staged readings by the Babcock Performing Readers have been cancelled.
- On March 12, all arts performances at Brigham Young University were cancelled, effective immediately. On March 25, the university cancelled all performances through June 15.
- All performances from March 16 to May 1 on Utah Valley University campus are cancelled. The theatre for audiences production of Señora Tortuga played March 13 and 14 as planned. The production’s tour may be postponed (see below).
- Hale Center Theater Orem cancelled all performances of Matilda from March 16 to 28. Later performances are postponed (see below).
- Provo City has cancelled all performances at the Covey Center for the Arts, which includes Talley’s Folly, starting March 13.
- An Other Theater Company’s production of Trifles/A Number has been delayed and will now open on April 3.
- The SCERA youth production of Just So: The Musical closed early after its March 14 performance.
- Prospero Arts and Media closed their production of Cyrano, From Nowhere early, on March 14.
- The March 13 and 14 performances (the final two in the run) of the Ziegfeld Theater’s production of Newsies were cancelled.
- At performances of Oliver! at Terrace Plaza Playhouse through March 30 have been cancelled.
Other Parts of Utah
- Lyric Repertory Theater has cancelled their entire summer 2020 season.
- According to the Deseret News, the upcoming performances of Newsies at the Egyptian Theater will be postponed.
- St. George Musical Theater’s production of The Foreigner will opened as scheduled on March 13, but performances from March 16 through 28 are suspended.
- The Egyptian YouTheatre spring season has been completely cancelled.
Postponed Performances and Productions
Salt Lake County
- The Eccles Theatre closed March 12-31, which shuttered the touring production of Dear Evan Hansen early. The touring production of Disney’s Frozen is also postponed until a future date that has not been announced.
- Pioneer Theatre Company’s production of Something Rotten! (originally scheduled to open May 8) is postponed.
- Salt Lake Acting Company has postponed the opening of Four Women Talking About the Man Under the Sheet.
- Plan-B Theatre’s production of Audacity has been postponed until a later date that is still to be determined.
- The University of Utah production of Tartuffe is postponed until late August.
- Westminster College’s production of Sweet Charity has been postponed until a date that is to be determined later.
- On March 19, Hale Centre Theatre announced that their production of Titanic would be delayed to another season.
- The performances of the Parker Theatre’s production of The Three Musketeers that were scheduled for March 20 or later have been postponed. Their production of Cinderella is also postponed.
- The Grand Theatre’s production of To Kill a Mockingbird has been postponed indefinitely.
- SONDERimmersive is delaying their production of The Chocolatier by two weeks to May 1.
- Bluffdale Arts Advisory Board’s production of Annie (originally scheduled for March 26-28) is postponed.
- Sackerson’s Immersive Theatre Festival has been postponed, and all of the company’s productions scheduled through May are on hiatus.
- Performances for Hale Center Theater Orem’s Matilda that were originally scheduled for March 30 or later are postponed. The company’s productions of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, Little Women, and Over the River and Through the Woods all now have undetermined opening nights.
- Utah Valley University’s tour of Señora Tortuga to local schools is on hiatus. It may possibly begin in May.
- CenterPoint Legacy Theatre has delayed the opening of their production of The Music Man until a date that is yet to be determined.
- The Hopebox Theatre production of Thoroughly Modern Millie has been postponed until at least March 30.
- Weber State University’s production of Pippin is postponed until October.
- Rest of the 2020 season at Terrace Plaza Playhouse (five productions) is indefinitely postponed.
- Good Company Theatre’s production of Babel has been delayed and is now scheduled to open October 15. Two Mile Hollow‘s opening is now postponed to September 10.
Other Parts of Utah
- The Utah Shakespeare Festival has cancelled all activities planned for June 1-9, including the previews and opening performances of Cymbeline and Desperate Measures.
- Tuacahn had delayed the start of their summer season to June 12, which will delay the openings of Beauty and the Beast and Annie.
- Pickleville Playhouse has delayed the opening nights of The Fickle Fortune (to June 4) and Peter Pan (to June 20).
- Four Seasons Theatre Company’s production of Tuck Everlasting is rescheduling all remaining performances for April 23-25 and 27.
- The Stage Door production of Jesus Christ Superstar (April 8-11) has been postponed until some further date (not earlier than May 9).
- St. George Musical Theater’s production of The Foreigner is on hiatus after the March 14 performance. Performances may resume at a later date.
- The Egyptian Theater’s production of The Night Witches has been postponed indefinitely.
- UTBA’s theatre reviewing workshop has been postponed. We will reschedule at a later time.
- The West Valley Arts production of Footloose at the Harman Theatre will continue with limits of 100 audience members per performance.
- Auditions for Hale Center Theater Orem’s upcoming productions of Little Women and their youth production of Freaky Friday will be by video only.
- The Parker Theatre has laid off the majority of their part-time staff and artists.